Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships open for application for candidates from developing countries, low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, for full-time Master’s study at a UK University.
Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
Worth of Award
- Approved air fare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of the award.(the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependents, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed).
- Approved tuition fees.
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of $1,065 per month, or $1,306 per month for those at Universities in the London metropolitan area.(rates quoted at 2017-2018 levels).
- Warm clothing allowance,where applicable.
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable.
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study related travel within the UK or overseas.
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of $458 per month for the first child, and $112 per month for the second child and third under the age of 16. If you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK.
To apply for these scholarships, you must;
- Be a citizen of or have been granted a refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected person.
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country.
- Be available to start your academic status in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2018.
- By October 2018, hold a first degree of at least second class upper (2:1) honors standard,or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually Master’s degree).
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without the Scholarship.
The CSC aims to identify talented individuals who have the potential to make change. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates. For further information on the support available for candidates with disability, see the CSC disability support system.
The CSC is committed to administering and managing its Scholarships and fellowships in a fair and transparent manner. For further information, see the CSC anti-fraud policy and the DFID guidance on reporting fraud.
How to Apply
You must apply to one of the following nomination bodies in the first instance – the CSC does not accept direct applications for these scholarships:
- National nominating agencies-this is the main route of application
- Selected non-government organisations and charitable bodies
- All applications must be made through one of these nominating bodies. Each nominating body is responsible for its nominating process. You must check with your nomination body for their specific advice and rules for applying, their own eligibility criteria, and their own closing date for applications. The CSC does not impose any age limits on applicants, but nominating bodies may do so in line with their own priorities.
- You must make an application using the CSC’s Electronic Application System (EAS), in addition to any other application that you are required to complete by your nominating body.
- Your application must be submitted to and endorsed by one of the nominating bodies listed above. The CSC will not accept any application written without the EAS.
- You are advised to complete and submit your application as soon as possible, as the EAS will be very busy in the days leading up to the application deadline’
Deadline: All applications, including full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications (with certified translations, if not English) must be submitted by 23.59 (GMT) on 22nd February,2018 at the latest.
- You must provide references from at least two individuals, which must be received by the CSC by 23.59 (GMT) on 22nd March, 2018 in order for your application to be eligible for consideration.